The Village of Bannockburn requires the annual registration of dogs 4 months and older in the Village of Bannockburn. Registration of dogs is required by January 31st
of each year. To obtain the registration form, click here
. Then annual cost for a neutered/spayed dog is $10.00 and for non-neutered/not spayed dog is $20.00 Please provide a copy of inoculation records with your registration form.
No owner shall be permitted to keep, harbor, or otherwise maintain more than the following number of dogs on a lot in the Village;
- No more than three (3) dogs on any lot containing less than 80,000 square feet in area;
- No more than four (4) dogs on any lot containing at least 80,000 square feet in area but less than 120,000 square feet in area;
- No more than five (5) dogs on any lot containing at least 120, 000 square feet in area but less than 160,000 square feet in area;
- No more than six (6) dogs on any lot containing at least 160,000 square feet in area.
Except as otherwise provided in this paragraph, the keeping, harboring, or maintaining of dogs on a lot in excess of the number prescribed above shall be deemed a public nuisance.
For the purposes of this section only, the term “owner” shall mean any person having a right of property in any dog; who keeps a dog; who has any dog in his care or custody; or who knowingly permits any dog to remain on or about any lot occupied by that person.
Dog Kennel Boarding
The boarding of dogs shall be permitted only as an accessory use to a residential use on the same lot and may not involve the boarding of more than three dogs. Any dog boarded on a lot shall be included in the calculation of the total number of dogs kept, harbored, or otherwise maintained on a lot pursuant to Subsection 3-110D of the Zoning Code. The boarding of more than three dogs on a lot shall be deemed a public nuisance.
Private Stables for Horses and Ponies. The following provisions shall govern private stables, which shall be permitted only as accessory to a residential use on the same lot.
- Stable Required. No horse or pony shall be kept on lot for any period of time without a stable meeting the requirements of this paragraph.
- Minimum Lot Area. No private stable shall be located on a lot of less than 75,000 square feet.
- Location on Lot. In no event shall any private stable be located in a front yard or within fifty (50) feet of any lot line.
- Screening Required. No private stable shall be erected within one hundred fifty (150) feet of Telegraph or Wilmot Roads, or within one hundred thirty (130) feet of any other street, or within seventy-five (75) feet of any lot line, unless such private stable is adequately screened from such street or lot line by a densely planted hedge of not less than twelve (12) feet in height, or such other vegetative screen as may be approved by the Building Commissioner.
- Stall Size. The box stall size for a private stable shall be not less than ten (10) feet by ten (10) feet; the standing stall size for a private stable shall be not less than four (4) feet by eight (8) feet; provided, however, that any enclosure designed for the purpose of sheltering horses or ponies shall be not less than two hundred (200) square feet in total area.
- Feeding. The feeding, other than grazing in open pasture, of any horses or ponies maintained in connection with a private stable shall not be permitted within fifty (50) feet of any lot line.
- Paddocks Required No private stable shall be located on any lot without a paddock not less than forty (40) feet by twenty (20) feet in area into which the stable opens; and no paddock shall be located within seventy-five (75) feet of a well or above a septic field. All paddocks shall be of suitable construction to prevent the animals from leaving the enclosure. Paddocks may be enclosed with fencing, provided such fencing is not less than four (4) feet in height and contains not less than three (3) rails or three (3) strands of barbed wire.
- Number of Horses or Ponies Permitted. The maximum number of horses or ponies permitted to be sheltered in a private stable on a lot shall be determined in accordance with the following table:
Lot Area Maximum Number
(Square Feet) of Horses or Ponies
75,000 - 136,999 2
137,000 - 159,999 3
160,000 - 199,999 4
200,000 - 239,999 5
240,000 or more 6
- No Commercial or Agricultural Use. No private stable, or horses or ponies sheltered therein, or paddock used in connection therewith, shall be used for commercial or agricultural purposes.
- Sanitation. Horses and ponies kept in connection with a private stable shall be adequately sheltered and proper sanitation shall be maintained at all times. All open grain used for feeding shall be stored in metal or other rodent-proof receptacles.
- Licensing. All private stables shall be subject to such licensing provisions as may be prescribed from time to time by Village Ordinance.
- Abandonment. Notwithstanding the provisions of Article X of the Village of Bannockburn Zoning Code, the keeping of a horse or pony on a nonconforming lot, or the maintenance of a nonconforming stable or paddock, shall not be deemed abandoned unless such keeping or maintenance is discontinued, or such stable or paddock becomes vacant and remains unoccupied, for a period of twelve (12) consecutive months, regardless of an owner’s or occupant’s intent to abandon; or unless there is a change of ownership of the property upon which such stable or paddock is located.