Adding a Shed or Detached Garage
Adding an Accessory Structure (Shed, Detached Garage, etc.) Checklist
- Read the Zoning Code regarding accessory structures and residential construction including maximum Floor Area, maximum lot coverage calculations, tree removal and mandatory buffering.
- Mark location and size of requested structure on a copy of a current survey of your property. Also note any changes to the grade or removal of vegetation.
- Determine the style, color and materials of the structure.
- Review the initial concept with the Building Commissioner, ARC Member, PCZBA Member and Village Manager in a pre-application meeting.
- Revise plans (if necessary) and submit for ARC review. ARC Application
- Present plans in ARC meeting and adjust based on feedback (if necessary). Submit final landscaping plan to the Village if required by the ARC.
- Submit Building Permit Application.
- Village will contact you when the Building Permit is ready and advise you of your fees.
- Have surveyor or general contractor locate and mark property construction area. Call JULIE to mark for conflicting utilities. Construction fence off all unchanged areas. Install tree protection and silt fencing as required.
- Begin construction.
- Call for inspections when ready – the Village will provide you with a list at the time you secure a building permit.
- Install landscaping as required (and approved) by the ARC.
- When project is finished, call for a final inspection, also review with Village Manager or Building Commissioner.
- Have your surveyor revise your plat of survey to include the new structure and submit a copy to the Village.